Saturday, November 27, 2010

Just some of the cool ways the Lord has spoken to my heart

Out here in Arua, there are no street lights (or for the most part any other kind of lights besides candles if you are outside). All this to say at night it gets VERY dark outside. You can see so many stars in the sky and it is one of the most beautiful views you could ever see. There were times I was struggling with being discouraged and if I was outside I would look up and see all the stars in the sky and I was reminded of just how big God is and how He knows everything. He knows why I am in Uganda, He knows my struggles, He knows my joys, He knows every hair on my head. And wow. He created all those beautiful stars in the sky. Also there were times that I could look out the window and see the full moon. It was beyond large and the brightest orange you have ever seen. But absolutely stunning.

On the flip side, there were times we got up early in the morning just to go watch the sunrise off of Arua Hill. And once again… absolutely stunning. He is the best artist that ever existed.

There were many times I was reminded, in this large world, He can make it as small as He wants. There was a missionary couple serving out here in Uganda that was from my hometown. As a matter of fact, their home church is 5 minutes from my house. And yet, I had to come to Uganda to meet them. Even more than that, once they went on stateside and mom met them, turns out they live right across the street from a friend I grew up with. How cool. I’m sad but glad to report that Bob went to be with Jesus earlier this year. I’m encouraged by Bob and Bobbi Brown.

God used other people to speak to me also. There was a time I was in Nairobi for medical treatment. And there were several people who had a major impact in my life while out there, Laura Lee being the first one. When I was hospitalized, she came and spent time with me and we just got to catch up with each other. And since the hospitalization was unexpected she brought me a toothbrush and toothpaste as well as bananas. But even more than that, when I had to go to ultrasound she went with me. AND….. she was sharing the gospel with the nurses at the hospital. And if you knew what kind of hospital it was you would know how difficult it could be to do this. Then, there was Suzan and Orvell. They came the morning I had to go under anesthesia for a procedure. They came and picked me up from the hospital and I got to spend time with them after also. Orvell reminds me so much of my grandfather (especially the sense of humor) and it brought back so many fond memories. Then the Gandy family took me in also and took me around to different places but gave me the opportunity to be out and around instead of being couped up at the guest house. I praise the Lord for my new extended family, and the people I mentioned aren’t the only ones. There are so many more.

There were several times that I saw different things that reminded me of home and brought a smile to my face. A little girl wearing a Minnie Mouse dress, a man riding a bicycle wearing a Florida State University sweatshirt, my piki driver one day who was wearing a Sea World Orlando t-shirt and the guy the other day riding a piki wearing a Tampa Bay Buccaneers jersey was just some of those instances. Or even the funniest was while I was on a run at 6:30 am, I ran past a boy riding a bicycle who was wearing a Bob Marley back pack, mesh running pants and none other than pink fat baby boots. How I can’t wait to wear boots and jeans again.

No comments:

Post a Comment