Saturday, November 27, 2010

When the Sand Runs out

When the sand runs out.

You know, it’s amazing what God uses to speak to us. Sometimes it’s through other people and sometimes it’s through music and sometimes He uses a combination of things to really work at changing your heart.
Today I was listening to a sermon by Francis Chan from several months ago. He covered several different points, but it was mostly about giving and how we react when a tragedy happens. And some things really stuck out to me. There has always been a big debate as to whether people were created or if we evolved. The evolution theory came from the thought of “survival of the fittest”. However, whenever tragedies happen or people are going through tough times, there is a desire to help. Now if we evolved through a process of survival of the fittest we wouldn’t care about the others, we would just be worried about ourselves. Now the Bible says God’s word is written on our hearts. That speaks volumes to me and hopefully to others about there being a Creator who cares and placed that concern on our hearts along with His word.

He also spoke on 2Corinthians 8 and the churches of Macedonia. Vs 2 “Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity”. Vs. 5-6 “And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God’s will. So we urged Titus, since he earlier made a beginning, to bring also to completion, this act of grace on your part”. But before they gave to help the others, they gave themselves to the Lord first. And, this giving was an act of grace. God gives us the grace to be able to give and where needed, to give even beyond our means. But here is the thing. I do believe they are talking about money. But it can be used in another way also. I really felt like God was speaking to my heart and saying “it is also about giving of yourself”. How much time do we really spend pouring in to other people? Do we really try to focus on others and help or are we selfish in our time and money? God put an even stronger desire in my heart to REALLY pour in to people especially out here.
To be honest, giving monetarily is kind of difficult out here. You wouldn’t think so. Many people would have the original thought of “there is so much need out there, why not just give and fix the problems”. However, when you just give money it only puts a band aid on the problem as well as establishing a relationship based on what can you give me. The saying “give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime” is so true out here. I want to be able to meet their physical needs as well as their spiritual needs. That is where the agriculture ministry came in to play. It helps meet both of the needs. I am really thankful that the Lord laid this ministry on my heart.
Then after listening to the sermon, I put my itunes on random shuffle. The first song that came on was a Rascal Flatts song called “When the Sand Runs Out” and there was an even stronger desire in my heart to REALLY pour in to people for the sake of Christ. And I went from sometimes being concerned (a lot) about what was going on at home and what others were doing even on the mission field, to being focused on what is going on here with what the Lord has called me to do. The Lord really is working a whole lot in my life right now and it is amazing. The lyrics are posted below:

I spent the morning at an old friend's grave. Flowers and Amazing Grace, he was a good man.
He spent his whole life spinnin' his wheels, never knowin' how the real thing feels.
He never took a chance or took the time to dance. And I stood there thinking as I said goodbye
Today is the first day of the rest of my life

I'm gonna stop lookin' back and start movin' on, And learn how to face my fears
Love with all of my heart, make my mark, I wanna leave something here.
Go out on a ledge, without any net. That's what I'm gonna be about.
Yeah I wanna be runnin', when the sand runs out.

'Cause people do it every day. Promise themselves they're gonna change.
I've been there, but I'm changin' from the inside out.
That was then and this is now
I'm a new man, yeah, I'm a brand new man
And when they carve my stone they'll write these words
"Here lies a man who lived life for all that its worth"

And as the cold wind blows across the graveyard
I think I hear the voice of my old friend whisper in my ear

I'm gonna stop lookin' back and start movin' on. Learn how to face my fears
Love with all of my heart, make my mark. I wanna leave something here.
Go out on a ledge, without any net. That's what I'm gonna be about.
Yeah I wanna be runnin', when the sand runs out

No comments:

Post a Comment